- We learn that Rick, Carol and Daryl have been having secret meetings outside the walls and plotting to steal more guns in case things go wrong. Loved that Carol shot up a walker so she didn't come back with a full mag. They discussed raiding the supplies of 9mm guns (or something like that) because they noticed no one really keeps track of what's in there. The same lady keeping watch over the food supply is watching the guns too.
- Rick made observations about the lack of security detail around the perimeter of the wall and said they need to station people around the wall in shifts. He also noted about the support beams being outside the walls (nice pick-up last week MJ!) and how easy it would be for the living to climb into this place. Deanna didn't seem too concerned but accepted Rick's request. We learned in this episode that Sasha has evolved into a great sniper, even if she's having some serious traumatic "about to crack" issues. She volunteered to take shifts in the clock tower. They found out that no one is stationed there and were very alarmed. Deanna acknowledged Sasha to be in contention for the lead watch job, but wanted her to come to the party at her place that night first.
- Daryl, the hardest one for Alexandria to crack, had a bonding story with Aaron. Daryl heard Aaron creeping up on him outside the fences. He said he was hunting rabbits. They came upon a horse named Buttons (which apparently is a big deal from the comics). Aaron had been trying to rescue the horse and bring it inside the walls, but to no luck. Daryl tried to help as they had done it before. Naturally, it turned into an invasion of walkers. Daryl had to save Aaron by bashing 2 walker skulls together. But by the time they got to Buttons it was already being taken down by a group of walkers, reminiscent of season 1 episode 1 when Rick lost his horse in Atlanta.
- Aaron had made observations about Daryl that he knows how to determine the good people from the bad people, but also acknowledged he has a tough exterior to let people in. He asked Daryl to make an attempt to go to the party, which he did. But Daryl never went in. Instead, Aaron invited him into his place for spaghetti with Eric. Watching Daryl eat spaghetti was hysterical. But it turned into a pretty sweet moment when Aaron offered him a motorcycle he had restored from scavenging parts every time he went out. He had requested to Deanna to give Daryl his job himself. He wants Daryl to be a recruiter because he can tell the good ones from the bad ones. He needs to be outside the walls every one in awhile. This must've been the magic thing Daryl needed to hear because he was all, "well I have nothing better to do" and then offered to get Aaron some rabbits. Don't laugh if we got a little emotional at Daryl making a friend in our house!
- Then there was Carol keeping her Suzy Homemaker cover. The outfits are fantastic. She said that due to her adapted persona she can be invisible again like she was back in her old married days. She worked her way into the supplies to get cookie ingredients, but also to unlock the window to get in for a gun raid later. We met some Alexandria dudes who seemed to be hitting on her. It was funny to watch her act like she knew nothing about the weapons. Carol disappeared from the party later to raid the stash but got caught by one of Jessie's kids who wanted some cookies. (Nice job Rick!) What followed was the creepiest one-way discussion I've ever seen. Carol sweetly explained the kid's 2 options. 1.) Keep your mouth shut and I'll make you cookies. 2.) If you tell anyone, you're going to wake up one day outside of the walls, tied to a tree and get eaten alive where no one will help you. (except add 10 times the amount of gory and scary detail) Also add in the sweet innocent attire she has been sporting. Damn Carol! You just have a way with the kids these days, don't you!?
- We learned about various other characters assimilating as well. Seeing Abraham dressed up for the party was comical. He went straight for the beer. Glenn, Maggie and Noah teamed up to try and survive the party together. (By the way, apparently Maggie will be working directly with Deanna to start working on the creation of a government for the town) Michonne was having a tough time putting the sword down and taking on the deputy uniform. I'm not sure if the plastic sword toothpick at the dinner party was a little too on the nose to be considered creative, or just awesome! By the end of the episode we saw her hanging up her sword in her house. (And just to continue the debate from last week, it sure seems like everyone got their own houses) Sasha went to the party and start getting hit on by Deanna's son. Well doesn't he seem like a strapping young man? Something tells me we'll see more of him. Deanna wanted Sasha to just come in and listen. She did and almost lost it between flashbacks of the recent fallen including her brother and listening to the people discuss food recipes. When someone broke her concentration to worry about cooking Sasha the wrong thing, she lost it. Not sure if this was supposed to be a test of Sasha's mental preparedness to take on the watchtower duty. But no decision on that was made this episode.
- And then there's Rick. Rick spent a lot of time with Jessie at that party. And if he wasn't talking to her he was starting and smiling at her. He clearly knows she is married to this guy Pete. My bad last week, I thought Aidan was the husband. But, it's Dr. Pete. I wonder if Pete is the surgeon that might work on Noah's leg. Anyway, Pete seemed a little nicer in the presence of his wife and seemed a little more sober too. I don't really remember half the stuff Rick and Jessie talked about except how the town is good for Rick and his family. At one point she was holding Judith, and Rick saw Carl getting along with one of Jessie's sons and the other kids in town. Rick was starting to feel content. And when he took Judith back from Jessie, he reached in for a very awkward kiss on the cheek and then the long smoldering stare that followed. On Talking Dead the actress that plays Jessie says that until that moment Jessie was not considering any romantic relationship with Rick. She was just being a nice neighbor with all the spontaneous haircuts and such. Not sure I buy that, but whatever! They clearly are showing that Rick is interested now, and she might be a little bit too. Of course, this all could be some giant conspiracy led by Deanna to get this whole crew to let their guard down.
- Rick, Daryl and Carol met outside the walls for the follow-up secret meeting. Daryl asked if they even need the guns. He used the excuse, if they ever do need them, they'll get them. But, he wants to try and make this work. Points to Aaron for converting the hardest one to convert! Rick reluctantly accepted a gun. You gotta wonder what Carol is thinking after having to scare the hell out of that kid to get all of the guns and then they didn't even really want them!
- Rick ran into Pete and Jessie back inside the walls near the end of the episode. He got that smitten smile on his face again, but then instinctively moved his hand back to his hidden gun. It seemed very clear that he was tempted to remove the competition for his new girl. These people have been living in the wild for 2 years and have some pretty primal instincts. You can dress them up and try to wear them down, but Rick is showing he's not fully assimilated. He could be the equivalent threat of a Governor or a Garrett. It's going to continue to be interesting to watch this one unfold!
Monday, March 9, 2015
As I said, I'm sure I missed a lot of details, but that's why we have discussions! So, feel free to correct me and add to the chat below. Hope you enjoyed my ramblings and I'll see you next week!