Well what do you know folks? I was hesitant to press play on my TiVo tonight and start this episode and it turned out to be probably its best episode yet! Now, as always, I'm not saying it was great when comparing it to some of the great dramas in TV history or anything. But, I did find myself thoroughly entertained throughout the episode. And it felt like we finally made some progress on the whole Sixers mystery and the overarching mythology. Not much, but it was nice to know that they didn't forget about it. To tell you the truth, about halfway through the episode, I was starting to get worried there wouldn't be any cheesy dialogue or moments and then the stuff just came pouring down like it was Hurricane Velveeta! It was beautiful folks! And we'll get to it all in the recap below!
Basically, this episode dealt with the fallout from a meteor hitting near Terra Nova and producing an Electro Magnetic Pulse (EMP) and wiping out their entire electrical system and backup power. So, basically we had to see everyone go into survival mode. And the Sixers saw this as a perfect opportunity to strike and grab something they feel is rightfully theirs.
- Jim had a big surprise for Zoe today as he brought her to some super secret room called THE EYE. It's a place where any wish of yours can be granted electronically! (Maybe this is Ben's metaphorical Magic Box from LOST?) When I first saw the seat, I automatically thought an amusement park ride so it was fitting that Zoe wanted to ride the ancient roller coasters from the 20th Century! But first she wanted to see where she was born, which we find out was some desolate house in the middle of nowhere. They apparently lived there for awhile to avoid the "overpopulation police" from figuring out that they had an illegal 3rd child. I can see this "EYE" room being used in future episodes for who knows what. Maybe creating some kind of holodeck or I dunno, finding all the mutants or humans of the world and ending them with one shot? Hmmm, maybe I'm thinking of the wrong show?
- Elisabeth had a big day at work today so she went off to Doctor land. Josh had a big day of working at Cocktails and Dreams but first ran into his pals Skye and Hunter. Hunter has been "hung over" for a week now after eating some kind of root. Turns out he had a parasite growing in him which put Skye and Hunter with Elisabeth for the big blackout! Because duh, there has to be an old-time surgery during a Meteor Power outage!
- Meanwhile, Maddy and Mark (Reynolds) had to go recreate the greatest love scene ever from Attack of the Clones. They skipped right past the not liking sand and went right for the jugular with the "I'd be much too frightened to make fun of a senator" scene. Actually, I believe the phrase in Terra Nova was "You're Perfect." And I know they would have gotten to frolicking in the fields if it weren't for that stinkin Meteor!
The meteor hits and we see some pretty decent effects taking down Terra Nova's power with some sonic wave. Taylor yelled for everyone in his immediate shouting distance to hit the deck which he and Wash did as well. And poof, no power. The place is suddenly vulnerable to dino attacks and whatever else.
- "Let's Dance" - Taylor to Knife wielding Sixer. But it was the way he said it that had me rolling. There was no amount of excitement behind it. It was like "I can't believe the writers are making me say this line, but I'll deliver it with the least amount of enthusiasm and show them!"
- During the Tree House Sleepover, Maddy asked if they were going to survive. Reynolds said something like he'd never let anything happen to her. And then she said she was asking so she could get a kiss in before they died. Reynolds said well maybe they should just in case. And if all of that wasn't cheesy enough, after the kiss Maddy threw in a "Now I can die!" for good measure!
- But the ultimate amount of cheese occurred when little Zoe was afraid of running into spiders in the air vent. But Jim said he used to be afraid of spiders too until he learned the "Go Away Spiders Song" which he promised to sing for Zoe. We got a little teaser with "Go away spiiiider go go go!" But it didn't just end there folks! Zoe got in that tunnel and would not go any further until Jim started singing again. "The song daddy." "We don't like you no no no! Creepy Crawly webs are all sticky!!" He'd stop because he'd have no more words. "The song daddy!" "Freak me out all icky icky spiiiiider!!" Oh it was unbearably hysterical the whole time. When Zoe finally got out, Jim asked if she saw any spiders down there. Zoe said "Nope, the song worked!" Ugh, if that girl wasn't so cute!! No amount of writing those song lyrics here could ever explain how cheesy the whole scenario was! But you all had to know that I would be loving every minute of it for blogging purposes!
- This season I will be recapping Fringe, Terra Nova, The Walking Dead and Alcatraz. If one of these new shows ends up not doing well, I may bail on it quickly. This could make room for a show that DOES end up doing well!
- The Walking Dead season 1 is a quick 6 episode watch. It is now available on Netflix streaming, at Redbox. I highly recommend the view!