Hello Past Dwellers from the future! We're back with another installment of Terra Nova. This season is sprinting towards its close with only 2 more episodes left (12/12 and 12/19). It is unclear whether it will return for a 2nd season (full or another half) but with its ratings holding pretty stable, it is a strong possibility. The show has become a reliable source of entertainment on Monday nights. Not a deep mythology as some might have hoped but there is an interesting plot at work, and most of the characters are pretty entertaining. Tonight was another case of a solid episode with some cheese sprinkled over it. It was definitely fun to have one of those classic episodes where adversaries are forced to work together to achieve a short-term goal. And of course, there was the whole "mole" hunt where at least the audience was let in on the big secret. All the pieces are being put into place for a dramatic finish. I have my guesses to how season 2 might get set up, not that it's any big surprise. But we'll get there after our quick-as-usual and light-hearted recap below!
So there were 2 major stories in this episode with a few minor sub-plots (that can all be covered in the CHEESE Festival at the end). Here we go!
Jim enjoyed his day in command, but was happy that Taylor returned at the end of the day. Oops, just spoiled the next section!
- Taylor's hysterical Future-Cycle Goggles he was wearing as he left Terra Nova.
- Taylor's dismissing of the soldier doing his duty and asking for the commander's purpose for leaving Terra Nova. "Good Job soldier! You're dismissed."
- Wouldn't we all love to have some of Skye's magical "Cut-Be-Gone" spray?
- The ever present Reynolds seeking approval of Jim for courting Maddie. It just elevates each time. Now he declared his intentions to marry Maddie!? WHAAAT!?!?! In the end Jim did cut the kid a break and said that Elisabeth's father would make him look like a puppy dog in comparison. Then there was the whole "Don't call me Sir" then Reynolds calls him Jim. "No, it's still Mr. Shannon." YIKES. But the best? "It was a pleasure riding with you today. That's what cops say, right?"
- Another Jim and Reynold's moment where Jim shhhed Reynold's so he could get the blood sample before it dissolved. That required "shhhh'ing"????
- And of course the tale of Zoe and the pet Dino continued today. We learned of her daily names for the creature. Hank, Orville and she finally settled on Boxer. Unfortunately for Zoe, she had to let her friend be released into the wilderness before it couldn't co-exist with its own species. It led to a bunch of sad looks from Zoe and silly jokes along the way. Oh yes, and remember when she tried to hide Boxer in her jacket? She had us all fooled! It was all smiles at the end when Boxer found a parental figure/friend at the end. Yaaaaaaay!!!!
- I'm not sure if everyone even caught this one but there was a major Star Trek joke reference in this episode. Jim originally asked Elisabeth to look at the blood sample but she said the blood was too far disolved to make anything of it. And then, as if she was Bones talking to Kirk, she said "Jim, I'm a doctor not a chemist!" Ahhh you just can't make this stuff up!