Hello friends and welcome back to our season 7 discussion of The Walking Dead! We are closing in on home stretch here as we return to the Hilltop crew to check in on what's going on. Don't think I'll have too many comments on this week's episode, but let's dive in and find out.
- The episode opened up with a montage of scenes showing the Hilltop residents training and preparing for battle, forging weapons, Maggie's pregnancy progressing and getting ultrasounds with their dedicated Hilltop Doctor, Sasha and Jesus mapping out a layout of the Sanctuary, Maggie and Jesus working through inventory and plans, Maggie bringing Daryl food and silent consolation, etc... Then we see Rosita walk in and want to talk to Sasha. It turns out that this montage was a "catch up" montage to show us what's been going on in all the time we've been away before Rosita showed up.
- Jesus has a heart to heart with Maggie about how he didn't get too attached to people until Maggie and crew showed up. He also let out news that he prefers dudes. Anyone want to bet that Aaron's man gets killed in this upcoming battle and eventually Aaron and Jesus connect? Maggie told Jesus that he should try out the "love" thing, even if it doesn't last forever, clearly an indication that she has no regrets for her time with Glenn.
- Later, Enid and Jesus catch Sasha preparing for her departure with Rosita. Jesus pieced together the clues pretty quickly. They urge her to wait a little longer. Sasha implies she is not changing her mind. Then Jesus and Enid volunteer to go with, but that is not an option. Enid and Sasha have a heart to heart about protecting Maggie and then Enid tells Sasha she's going to rat her out in a few minutes.
- Then all hell breaks loose. The Saviors are coming! We see that Hilltop developed a secret exit to get Maggie and Daryl out of the compound when the Saviors show up. But, they were too late and ended up hiding in a storm cellar. However, Enid and Rosita took advantage of the exit and began their journey to Sanctuary.
- Simon rolls into the main governing structure to talk to Gregory. They have a discussion about how he now prefers tequila over gin. Lots of suspense about why they're there, but then it becomes clear they came to seek out the doctor. (since Negan threw the Sanctuary doc in the fire) I believe it was news in this episode that the 2 doctors were brothers. It was hilarious that Simon offered Hilltop a consolation prize for losing their doc. A crate full of aspirin.
- Gregory started hinting to Simon that there was an uprising in Hilltop, and losing their doctor will fuel the fire. Simon provided Gregory with an address to go to to discuss these issues further. By the end of the episode we see a more confident Gregory bossing around Jesus and threatening him if he doesn't cooperate with recruiting and scavenging plans. The man has no backbone and is becoming a Savior through and through. There's a chance that Maggie and crew could use this Simon connection to their advantage if they find out about it, but we'll see.
- There is a whole sequence with Enid trying to protect Maggie and Daryl's hiding space from a Savior, but the savior still makes his way into the storm cellar for a tense moment of him looking at produce. Long story short, he doesn't find them. Maggie an Daryl have a moment about the great big Negan introduction. Daryl hadn't been speaking to Maggie since he showed up because he felt guilty for what happened to Glenn. His actions led to Glenn's death, but Maggie does not blame him. She told Daryl he's one of the good ones, which Glenn thought as well.
- Daryl caught Jesus leaving Gregory's office an asked where Rosita and Sasha were. Guess where he probably went next?
- And alas, the rest of the episode was the bonding tale of 2 ex-Abraham lovers. Sasha kept throwing lifelines out there and Rosita kept slamming them down. They got into walker shenanigans while looking for a running car. Rosita saw that Sasha was wearing the necklace Rosita made for Abraham (and Abraham in turn give to Sasha). Sasha kept asking questions to make conversation. How did you learn to disarm bombs? Hotwire cars? Can you show me how to make those knots? Gee, it's pretty impressive you know all this stuff! Rosita was not in a talking mood unless it was the battle plan. And of course, they had different opinions on that too.
- Sasha wanted to snipe from a building Jesus scouted, giving them a chance to escape. Rosita wanted to ensure the job got done by going in.
- Eventually they got to the building and stated scouting there. They saw Eugene in there giving orders. Rosita, finally opened up to Sasha which turned out to be the first time she opened up at all. She taught Sasha one of the knots she didn't know. Then she explained how she learned everything. They were all tricks from men in the Zombie apocalypse that wanted to "take care of/protect Rosita" and take advantage of some "benefits" on the side. Rosita didn't mind since it was "end of the world" mentality. She picked up the skills and eventually became better than all of them and would go to the next group of people until she fell in with Abraham. That was different and she did actually fall for him. But, she also was happy for him that he found love with Sasha and never got the chance to tell him. Rosita thought she was made with Sasha, but was more mad at the fact that Sasha figured out Abraham's "issues" first. Sasha indicated that she was happy with Abraham too. And alas, the 2 bonded over their ex love and became angrier at Negan for robbing Abraham from the death he deserves. They both implied that they have each other's back.
- Sasha went back to scoping and saw Dr. Carson arrive. There was no clean shot at Negan. They turned on the radio and heard Eugene giving orders to collect more walkers or something. They decided there is only way to do this. Go inside as Rosita recommended originally.
- Sasha clips the wire fence open and gets in then tricks Rosita into staying outside while she clips it back together. She tells Rosita to go and that the group still needs her. Sasha smiles as she runs in for her suicide mission. Rosita is not happy, but runs as the Saviors are coming out to see what's going on. (Sasha/Rosita took out 2 of them)
- I forgot to mention they tried to break out Eugene and he cowered in shame and said he did not want to go with them. He appears to be content living in comfortable quarters and bossing people around. Doesn't seem like a long con at this point, but you never know?
- As Rosita is hightailing it out of there we see the silhouette of what appears to be Daryl. Man, people are getting to that Sanctuary quickly these days!