Hello friends and welcome back to our season 7 coverage of The Walking Dead. We are inching closer and closer to an all out war with the saviors. Morgan takes center stage in this episode that we thought would be mostly a Carol-centric episode. But, key developments happen for both of their characters and the Kingdom in general. Let's discuss:
- So, Richard continued his quest to start something with the saviors and make it impossible to not join Alexandria and Hilltop in the fight. He set up a roadblock for the Kingdom folk going on the drop and hid part of their drop to make it appear that they were short. Tension had been brewing at these drops with the saviors. The long haired dude had been itching to do something to someone. He finally got his chance. While Richard thought he was sacrificing himself for the greater good, they shot Benjamin instead.
- We should've seen something coming as they kept building up Benjamin in this episode. His brother wanted to be like him and was training with Morgan, he brought a picture for Morgan to hang on his wall, and he was talking about some girl he might be seeing that Morgan kept asking about. Oh and he went to see Carol and offered not to go on the drop to walk her back to her home and learn more about the crazy walker take down she did. The odds were stacked against him. Actually, I kinda figured they were going to shoot him when the gun was aimed at Richard. But before this episode, I thought Richard and Benjamin were perfect candidates to fall in the season finale.
- Alas, we lost them both in this episode. Morgan cracked the case whilst recalling a lot of the stuff that he has been through and suppressed within him. He started losing it in this episode and figured out that Richard set them up. Richard confessed to Morgan his goal with the whole thing. He didn't want anyone but himself to get hurt, but now they could use this to their advantage. Tell the saviors "THEY GET IT". Build that trust and then take them down when they least expect it. Morgan kind of goes with this except he also choked Richard to death in front of the Kingdom folk and the Saviors to get the point across.
- So, Morgan finally kills. He is unleashed. And he's not all right in the head. In his mind he couldn't separate his son Duane from getting justice for Benjamin.
- Meanwhile, Carol is having restless sleeps and taking strolls to the Kingdom, nonchalantly taking down walkers in her path. She went to Morgan asking about what really happened with Negan and the Saviors. She asked why Jesus brought them all to the Kingdom. She knew something didn't add up. Morgan initially said that's a conversation between her and Daryl as he kept his promise to keep things quiet. After Morgan's breakdown he came clean to Carol about everything. Glenn, Abraham, Olivia, Spencer and Negan's control over Rick and everyone. And of course, that Rick is ready to fight. Morgan was going to go off on his own, but Carol begged him not to.
- In the end, we see Carol return to the Kingdom to tell Ezekiel it's time to fight. Ezekiel agrees, but today he will replant his dying garden with Benjamin's brother. And Carol helped. We end on a clip of Morgan carving his stick, which he received back from the Saviors. It felt like something might happen as the camera continuously zoomed in on him and he turned as if something was creeping up on him. Then the credits rolled. In hindsight, I'm assuming we're just meant to think this is Morgan prepping for war with no ulterior motives from the film crew/writers. But, it was certainly a strange sequence of events to end the episode!