Hello everyone and welcome back for more season 7 of The Walking Dead! Well, when the marketing for this 2nd half promised Rick would smile they weren't kidding! This whole episode was a bit of an "eye of the storm" type of escapism. But, considering it focused on so few characters and sent Michonne and Rick out on their own it was pretty believable (and hilarious at times. Something we rarely say about a Walking Dead ep). Let's dive in.
The episode primarily focused on 4 characters in 3 storylines. Rick and Michonne were hunting for guns and supplies. Rosita was complaining about guns and progress. Tara was battling internally about telling everyone about the guns she knows exist. So, basically what this all boils down to is that if things go South, it's Tara's fault! But, at least Judith will know why.
- I was worried Rosita was a goner in this episode for sure. She had the discussion with Tara about no leads on guns and then went out looking for a gun. I figured Rosita dying looking for guns would enable Tara to shamefully confess. Now, considering how the episode ended that could still be the end result of Tara's inaction. But, for now Rosita was spared by the homemaker mother walker protecting a toy gun on the front step. Man, Rosita had to be annoyed that she almost died for that!
- Okay, a bit of confusion with the Rosita stuff. I could go back and read other recaps, but I'm going off memory here. What did Gabriel do to talk Rosita out of trying to kill Negan? I'm pretty sure that the scar on Rosita's face is because of the fact that she DID try to shoot Negan and the bullet went into Lucille. Was there an opportunity before that that I'm forgetting where Gabriel intervened? Anyway, Gabriel insisted that he made a decision because Rosita has a role to play and she can do a lot more alive than dead.
- Meanwhile, Tara struggled to keep her knowledge of Oceanside to herself. She gave sound arguments to Judith about why she is refraining from telling people. I'm not sure how I feel about the plot mechanism. It certainly gives voice to Tara's thought process, but talking to baby Judith? (who is looking a lot older these days!) I guess it works in the end. Anyway, she convinced herself by the end that Team Rick is looking for the greater good here. She worries that it will end in a shootout between Alexandria and Oceanside, but Rick and crew want to end the oppression of Negan which benefits everyone.
- Then we have Rick and Michonne on their romantic supply run getaway. They were all business going house to house, clearing walkers grabbing 2 guns, clothes and beans. And finding some time for some hot and heavy action. We also saw them spot some of the living fishing who had a cooler clearly labeled "BATTERIES AND STUFF" when they needed new batteries for their walkies. We're left to interpret how they got the batteries but are assured it was no sweat. Surely they found a way to do it without killing them.
- Rick was enjoying his time with his Michonne, on the road away from the stress of leading. He kept trying to push for more time while Michonne kept stressing they should go back. (this also led me to think something bad was going to happen in Alexandria)
- Michonne almost snagged a deer with her silenced pistol, but Rick loudly woke up from his nap scaring it away. This came to play later when Rick tried to win his girl a prize at the fair and ended up scaring her into thinking he died trying!
- So, they pushed on and found this fairgrounds where some big showdown took place years ago. It involved the military (national guard?) and civilians. It seemed to have been converted to some survivors camp as there were palettes of food drops (wait, what show are we watching her?), make-shift beds, and lots of armed walker soldiers. Rick and Michonne couldn't help but laugh at their luck that this stuff just fell into their laps as they literally fell through the roof onto a bed surrounded by Ready to Eat palettes of food.
- While Rick put on a good face during the day he stayed awake at night stressing. But, they put together a game plan to grab the guns. It wasn't without problems, but these skilled warriors made it work in the end. And it was totally fun to watch. Rick giving Michonne 8 walkers and used the "silent sword attack" as the excuse. Then they split the remaining walkers up later into the different fair rides. Rick using fair equipment like the prize hook to take out walkers. All of it was nicely executed. But yeah, we all knew that deer was getting chowed down but seeing Michonne lose all sense of anything while she thought it was him was crazy. She basically lost the will to live, dropped her sword and froze.
- She didn't really recover after that encounter. After collecting the food and weapons and started their trek back Rick stopped the vehicle for a heart to heart. He promised people were going to die in this upcoming battle. He talked about his grieving process of losing Glenn, the guy that saved his life in the very beginning. He said that this battle is not about them anymore. It's about providing a future for civilization. In micro terms, for Glenn/Maggie's kid and for Judith. So, if Rick dies he knows Michonne is the one to lead the people into the future. And he knows this because Michonne is the one that led Rick to this righteous path. It was sound logic, but scary for what might be coming in the next 4 episodes. Granted, if it works anything like The Walking Dead of the past the encounter with Negan will start to happen in the final minute of the season finale leaving us waiting for next season!
- Rick and his entire crew went to the Scavengers with the 63 guns. Jadus (I think that's her name?) was only mildly impressed. She insisted they needed more guns. Rick reluctantly agreed to get more but not without negotiating keeping some of them to get more. Somehow he went from demanding 10 to getting 20 and keeping a cat (Huh???)
- This finally set in motion Tara getting the courage to talk to Rick about Oceanside, but it was an off camera conversation. Stay Tuned for a future episode!
- But, the conversation was off camera and out of earshot of Rosita who was fuming at the slowness of this process. She left for Hilltop and went to her lover's other lover for help. Sasha agrees to help Rosita, but only if she gets to take out Negan. They are heading to sanctuary and have memorized information of the internal and outside schematics of the facility. Rosita provided a sniper and they both agree that this is a one way ticket for both of them. (DAMMIT TARA!!!)