Hello everyone and welcome back to our season 6 coverage of The Walking Dead! This episode was a decent setup episode for future conflicts as well as a great world building episode. There's tons of stuff that could be covered and we can surely dive into it in comments. I'm definitely experiencing a shortage of available time to get full-fledged recaps out at the moment, but I'll still offer a few tidbits and then open the floor for discussion. Hopefully, no one minds too much! Let's dive in.
- This episode focused a lot on examining Abraham's adjusting viewpoints in the zombie apocalypse. He has an internal conflict on developing feelings for Sasha while still having something that seems like "more than a fling" with Rosita. Rosita now has offered him a necklace made from a smashed brake light. Abraham hilariously used some fun metaphors to ask Glenn about his intentions to "get pregnant" with Maggie and his own intentions to NOT be in such a situation. By the end of the episode he seemed to be more on board with the idea or at least respected Glenn and Maggie for their decision.
- The rest of the episode dealt with Jesus explaining who he is and introducing the group to a much larger world. We found out that many communities have sprung up and have begun trading with each other. The one that Jesus is from is called Hilltop which built itself up around some old mansion that was converted into a museum. Naturally, Rick and his all-star team had some trust issues so played things safe enroute to Hilltop and when dealing with their "new friends". Jesus so far has turned out to be an alright guy and has the best intentions for bringing Rick and crew into the fold. Alexandrians need food, Hilltop need better defenses.
- Now while Jesus brought these concerns up the Hilltop leader, Gregory, played some hardball. Maggie became the point person for all negotiations. While the first discussion didn't go too well a conflict arose which turned the tables and gave Rick and crew a bit of a selling point.
- The infamous Negan's name was mentioned again and we learn a little bit about him and his crew The Saviors. Gregory gets stabbed by one of his own men which sets Team Rick into motion to diffuse the situation. We find out that Negan has been using scare tactics to maintain a threatening stance over various communities in the area. No one knows how big their group is. Rick and Daryl decided they have something to trade for goods after all. Their plan? Take out Negan. Granted, I'm sure this will end top being a bigger deal than they anticipated but it was awesome to hear them talk a good game!
- In other character news, Rick and Michonne didn't stay a secret for too long. Basically, when Jesus got into Rick's house the whole town was alerted and joined the new couple outside their bedroom. Hysterical. Rick had a brief talk with Carl who seemed pretty happy about the new pairing. It was interesting that Carl opted out of going on the Hilltop trip. Good for Judith, but I wonder if there was more to it.
- We should also note that the team landed an improved doctor situation at Hilltop. This was promising to Glenn and Maggie who ended up getting an ultrasound and a printout picture of their baby by the end. awwww They also made sure to show this doc in action to know he's the real deal. He patched up Gregory's stab wound and kept their leader alive pretty sufficiently. (But, I think we're meant to get the impression that Gregory isn't the best of leaders too)