Hello and welcome back to the revolution! We've arrived at Austin, Texas (and since they film in Austin, the setting is legit!) and seem to be amping up for a grand showdown for the season, possibly series, finale. I'm not sure if it was Facebook, Twitter or TV ads but I certainly caught the teaser that we'd be losing someone in this episode. And for a quick second, I started to suspect that the person I thought was untouchable might go down. But, alas, I knew better! Anyway, let's dive into some of the talking points of this episode.
- Mr. Friendly is straight! That's right, good ol' Tom Friendly showed up as "Blanchard," the previous governor or General of the Texas Rangers or something. He didn't last too long, because the Willoughby kids were all brainwashed and stuff and one was dressed up as a prostitute! Loved Miles' line "I wasn't looking at her face!" Good times.
- Anyway, to slow stuff down, Jason was our guide in Austin because he wanted to take it to the Patriots for what they did to him with the reeducation. He's convinced his mother is dead and Tom Neville was not happy about his new career choice. Of course, his former/new allies weren't exactly thrilled to have him back either. But, he had enough intel and gumption that they decided to keep him on an incentive plan. One bad move, and he's dead.
- Lots of hijinx going on in Austin and of course a brief hint of a love triangle with Connor, Charlie and Jason. They uncovered that the ultimate plan was to take out the current General (we met him earlier this season) with the Willoughby Kids. So Miles, Monroe, Charlie, Jason and Connor were all on the lookout during some big speech by the General. Of course, there were lots of hidden Patriot commanders around and one spotted Jason. They read the code and he went into "Backup Killer Mode". Charlie caught on that something was messed up and she followed him. Once she spotted the sniper weapon, Jason tried to strangle the life out of Charlie. They did it just long enough to make him me think, "hmm maybe Charlie isn't going to last much longer. Maybe this really is the end of the series and all bets are off." But noooo she got out of it with a nice knife to Jason's knee! The fight raged on.
- Meanwhile outside both Miles and Monroe spotted the Willoughby Kid that Rachel made them let go a couple episodes back. He was on stage with the general disguised as a Texas Ranger. The fight raged on with Charlie and Jason with Charlie ending up with the sniper rifle. She begged Jason to snap out of it but he kept coming, so she shot him out of self defense. The gunshot was heard outside and everyone was panicking. Willoughby Kid went into motion but Monroe took him out saving the day. But we were left with Charlie mourning over the body of her past fling. RIP Jason Neville. Tom is NOT going to be too thrilled about this turn of events!
- And of course, Aaron and crazy Priscilla got closer to Willoughby. But, Aaron started sensing something was off with his ex-wife. She wasn't sleeping and didn't care about her family. It turns out that ever since the nano took over their minds, only Aaron woke up. The nano want to experience human emotions and feelings (yep, including those intimate feelings. They enjoyed getting intimate with their dad apparently. ewwww!). Anyway, Priscilla is having a happy time with her kids in her mind while the nano control her body. Interesting. Even more interesting, Aaron seemingly has to pretend he's okay with this as he arrived with her to Willoughby and came into the Rebel Camp to meet up with Rachel.
- This nano thing is getting out of hand! But, it clearly is the larger arc of the show. Very similar to the Matrix and all other AI gone bad movies/literature. Man creates machine. Machines get smarter than man and become a threat. Man needs to conquer the machines. Maybe there's more to it but that seems to the trajectory right now!