Hello Time Traveling Zombies! I appreciate your patience over the past couple weeks as life has gotten in the way of me recapping on a timely basis. I think we still were able to have some good discussion on our favorite shows. I had another busy weekend, so you're ending up with a 2 for 1 deal in this post. We're going to catch up on the latest episodes of Fringe and The Walking Dead! Let's not waste time and get right into this thing!
Observ'er'ationsGlyph Code: SPLIT - Split Universe? No clues on this one, but could be a hint of things to come. Thanks Fringepedia for screenshot as always!
- Walter's whole dance to get into the pocket universe was pretty classic. Other than that and his food obsessions, Walter was pretty serious for most of the episode. But there ended up being a reason for that!
- Red Licorice! (or maybe it was the grape kind that was in the lab)
- And on the video he stopped for Raspberry Danishes. Hysterical.
Points of Interest:
- Peter is clearly a mess in his grief over Etta's death. Plus, the observer tech is taking over. We opened the episode with him repeating a hologram voice message from Etta. Olivia found him there and they shared a moment, declaring that they want to be there for each other and to be open. But, clearly Peter is hiding what he has done. Then we see his abilities in effect in the pocket universe. He was able to find the exit without the choreographed dance that Walter came up with. And then he went full on NEO with his attack of Agent Smith...errr...the observer. He was able to move like them and block their attacks. The Observer warned him that he has made a grave mistake and does not know what is happening to him. Peter snaps his neck and then VANISHES (like the Observers always do). Lots of crazy theories out there involving TIME and who Peter could actually be. Maybe September is the future version of him. I doubt it, but if you think about how vested September has been in the Bishop boys and that he went against the other Observers who were trying to make him disappear, there is some plausibility to it. Clearly, they don't look alike or anything, but maybe the tech takes over and changes your appearance. I dunno, just an interesting idea. But, I would prefer it to go another way!
- The Time aspects of the pocket were interesting. Cecil ended up getting blown into the pocket universe accidentally 20+ years ago. It seemed like days to him but years passed by. The same thing theoretically was supposed to happen with the Empath Kid. I started thinking that this pocket universe may be a way to travel BACK in time to prevent the Observer invasion. But, it might not work like that. Time may only move forward. Of course, they could make up the rules as they go on that one. It's Fringe after all!
- So, the theory is that the mysterious Donald has the Empath kid, (who I think we also theorized back in the day might be a young September). Maybe, we'll get to meet this Donvan soon enough. Who could it be at this point? William Bell was still in amber when we last saw him, but if the Observers got their hands on Simon (Desmond), surely something happened with Bell too. Maybe Bell escaped and went to the pocket universe and retrieved the kid. I guess Donald could also be someone else who used to be a big part of the show, Charlie Francis. Sure, he died in our universe in the original timeline, but maybe he didn't in the "Peter-less" universe. That's a stretch. But, it would be nice to see Charlie again! Donald could also be Walternate or something crazy like that. Some fans who have an attention do detail keep bringing up that on some of the "Previously Clips" if you turn closed captioning on, it mentions that Walternate is the one who says "Previously on Fringe". Whatever that means, use your own judgement. But, it would be interesting if Walter was somehow working with himself to stop this invasion. We still don't even know if Observergeddon is happening OVER THERE too. But, since we've said goodbye to that universe already, does it matter? I hope it does!
- So, we feared this and discussed it since Walter had those pieces of his brain reinserted last season. Walter now fears that he is becoming the OLD Walter. The one who would stop at nothing to complete his mission. He would sacrifice others for the sake of finishing the job. Walter is afraid of losing himself, but Peter obliges to not let that happen. Of course, Peter has a little secret of his own.
- Did everyone notice the Fringe Glyphs were on the doors of the Pocket Universe? That was a nice touch. I don't know if there was any significance to the ones that were posted. The boy was supposed to be in the one where there was an Apple, which could be a C, D, E, or F depending on the placement of other things in the picture. I'm going to go with the theory that it doesn't matter which ones were on what doors, but that it was just a nod to the glyphs in the show.
- It sure looked like we were seeing the Merle of old this week or who we could assume Merle would have been if we had seen him more. He was having a field day messing with the Walkers they FISHED out for the fight club. Also, he went all bezerk on his opponent doing some crazy kick boxing moves to take him down. (Or maybe Mixed Martial Arts? I am pretty rusty on my fighting lingo these days. Who am I kidding? I always have been.)
- I know we mentioned it above, but Michonne unleashed was pretty awesome. That katana blade or whatever it is makes for some awesome Walker deaths. We need more Michonne! I would assume that at some point either during or at the end of this season, we'll have Andrea and Michonne joining up with our buddies at the prison. But, I've been wrong before!
- So, Carol. Dead or not Dead? They definitely dug 3 graves and Daryl put the flower by Carol's grave. But, we never SAW her die, right? We only found her bandana which she conveniently was wearing for the first time ever last week. Isn't it a standard rule of TV that if we don't see the person die, then they're not necessarily dead? Kind of like Frank Lapidus on LOST (spoiler alert?). I'm holding out hope that she's still around.
- Daryl with the baby was awesome too. Carl wanted to name her after all of the people they've lost. But, I think we most likely will always be calling her Little Ass Kicker. Hysterical!
- The 2 prisoners that are with the crew now were pulling their weight and very sympathetic to what happened. Still can't remember their names, but they could see that this group had become a family. Something that they've never really been a part of. Maybe they'll get their chance. They're going to have to if people keep getting killed off at this rate!
- Milton, the scientist, didn't seem to be a big fan of the Walker Fights. He seems to have other goals in mind but Merle and the Governor were too busy getting ready to have fun to really listen to him. He has experiments that he wants to do. I'm sure it has to do with the whole Walkers and their memories thing that he was talking about in a previous episode.
- Oh and how about Gov and brushing Walker Penny's hair? Was that his daughter? I would have thought absolutely yes until I saw that big page of names with Penny's name at the bottom. Has he been through various Walker girls to take the place of his daughter? And what was up with all of those journal pages of just lines? Very creepy.