Hello everyone and welcome back to our season 7 discussion of The Walking Dead! Well, it happened. We hoped it wouldn't, but it did. We got our Tara/Heath episode. It wasn't horrible, it wasn't great either. But, I'm sure it played an all important puzzle piece in resolving the mystery of this season's big question. How on earth will they take on Negan? Oceanside may contain one very important key that Rick and crew will need to unite these colonies and rise up against their oppressor. But we're going to need Tara to stop lying about it! Let's dive in.
- Throughout the episode we got flashbacks of how Tara/Heath's scavenger trip went. They went further than expected in their 2 weeks and didn't find a whole lot. Cans of okra and a bottle of aspirin. Heath is done and he's having issues with what they did at the satellite station to Negan's men (and more importantly WHY they did it). Heath said he does get it now that he's been brought out of his Alexandrian bubble. Every man is in it for themselves. You take out who you have to, you take what you need so that you can keep going. Tara doesn't subscribe to that philosophy totally. And that's probably why we got the ending we did.
- Heath and Tara moved on towards the shore and ran into an abandoned bridge of vehicles and possible supplies. They found a mound of dirt that was dumped out by trucks. While they initially thought it was there for some kind of construction project, they soon found out it was a method of taking down a bunch of walkers who were buried underneath. SAND WALKERS!! We learned eventually that Tara and Heath got split up at this moment. Tara fell off the bridge and found the current and ended up at an inlet near the shoreline they were trying to get to. Heath, well we thought for a minute he bought the farm, but it appears he is just MIA for now.
- A couple girls found Tara washed up on the shore. We later learned that this is Cyndie and Rachel. Cyndie (I checked the comic spelling) was sympathetic to Tara. Rachel, not so much. Tara stealthily took food and water and a weapon provided by Cyndie and then followed Cyndie to their encampment.
- She found a settlement comprised all of women and girls. She also observed they have a huge arsenal of guns and ammo (Ding Ding Ding!!). There wasn't a lot of time to process at that moment because it turned out they were all after Tara! But we have time to process. What's the one thing that Rick and crew lost a few episodes back? Yep - guns. It's the biggest threat to taking out Negan. Rosita has one gun and Eugene is making her a bullet. But, if Tara eventually gives up this location they'll have access to more. But will they take what they need and kill the rest? Or would they align themselves with Oceanside, Hilltop, Kingdom and take on the Sanctuary?
- Tara was able to take out a girl name Beatrice with the but of B's rifle, but then she was surrounded by the rest of the group. She came to meet Natania, the group's leader. Long story short. They were working for Negan and at some point, he and the saviors killed all the boys/men 10 and older. Shot them all in the head. The women were meant to keep working for Negan, but they all snuck away and built this hidden community complete with bells and sirens to detract walkers from the area. They keep the place hidden by killing any person that finds their establishment. It was to be Rachel's first time killing someone, but Cyndie believed in another way. The group was conflicted on what to do with Tara. They wanted her to stay due to her skills and could see right through her "fishing boat" lies.
- Tara explained about Alexandria and what they did to Negan's crew at the satellite station. What we didn't know at the time was that this was the clear signal to Natania to take out Tara. They told Tara that they would send her with guides back to Alexandria and work on some kind of an alliance. But, what really happened was Beatrice and Kathy were ordered to kill Tara. Tara was able to pick up on this and bolted. Cyndie ended up aiding her escape too, not without repercussions from her group in the end.
- Cyndie helped Tara get to the bridge and helped her cross it. Tara was unable to find Heath but kept trekking onward back to Alexandria, scavenging a key pair of pink sunglasses.
- She had learned from the Oceanside folk just how big Negan's operation was and that Alexandria's people are probably already dead because of what Rick and team decided to do. When she arrived home with a bobblehead for Denise, Eugene's face said it all. It was all explained to her. Glenn, Abraham, Denise, the new arrangement.
- Rosita demanded that Tara give her one sliver of hope on something she found out there. Rosita said she would personally go out and do whatever needed to be done. But, Tara, still trying to believe that there is more to humanity than taking what you need to survive, said she saw nothing out there. Cyndie also forced her to SWEAR that she wouldn't tell her people about Oceanside. And she kept that promise.