Hello fellow inmates! I'm really enjoying our visit to Alcatraz this year. They are building up a repertoire of very memorable and highly dangerous prisoners while expanding the mystery of their reappearance in the present day. There were a few more interesting tidbits added tonight that I'll mention below. Let's not waste any time and dive right in.
- We learned more about Tiller. He has a special needs sister who was making some pretty hysterical comments all night. Seems like she needs some male attention pronto! Tiller also appears to be a corrupt conned Sweeney into 50% of the profits from the cigarette business. He seems to be rather hated among prisoners which could explain why Sylvane went right after him when he got out. (or it could have just been his assignment with whoever the man/woman in charge of this operation is)
- You had to love how the writers are still trying to figure out what to do with Hurley (sorry, Soto) during these missions. Obviously he has Alcatraz knowledge but that only goes so far in an episode. So, the building that the bank was in just happened to be similar to the construction of his comic book store. This allowed him to help Madsen break in. A bit of a stretch! But hey, the whole driving Emerson around while Tracking (errr tailing) Sweeney made up for it big time. You just have to love Jorge Garcia!
- Oh yeah and how about the lady at the flower shop offering a police discount to Madsen of 15% but then to Soto, "20% for youuuuuuuu" Ahh good times.
- So the first big mythology event of the night was the dinner where Lucy, Dr. Beauregard, Warden and Tiller all sat down and were having a light conversation. Lucy discussed how she specializes in both medicine and psychology and then started talking about how people are wired by their memories. She was studying ways to remove traumatic memories in an effort to correct inmates behavior and be able to restore them into society.
- Interesting. Well, it wouldn't seem like it worked if these people are still sticking to their old habits out in present day. But obviously, we need to keep tabs on this whole memory removal thing.
- Speaking of memories, did anyone else catch a vibe that maybe Cal Sweeney didn't know why he stole that bag at the last robbery? He either didn't want to talk to Madsen about it or he really didn't know what was in the bag and why he stole it. So perhaps, as I mentioned above, they are somehow programmed to be doing whatever they're doing? Just a thought. I'm not past the whole cloning concept yet. Now add in the whole memory correction angle. Perhaps someone took Lucy's knowledge and used it against original intentions and kept the BAD wiring for these people and instilled some mental instructions for what the powers that be want done? (sorta like Inception?) Like I said, just throwing darts at the wall for now. That's what we love to do!
- So, then there was the mystery keys. Sylvane had one and now Sweeney robbed one out of that bank. Emerson took the keys to his science team where they discovered the keys were cut by lasers, meaning they couldn't have possibly been made in the 60s.
- Ahh, but still we flash back to 1960 and we see the Warden "enlightening" Harlan to a whole new world. He used 2 of these keys to open a magical door on Alcatraz Island (it would seem to be under the prison). All we see is Harlan's eyes light up and we cut to the Alcatraz title.
- Obviously, the first thing that comes to mind (at least mine) is some kind of time portal to the present day. But that's a little too easy, right? But where did they get those keys? Did Jim Shannon throw them through the Hope Plaza portal? Did a DHARMA Polar Bear turn a crazy Donkey Wheel with the keys lodged on one of the spindles so they'd be transported through space and time? Yeah, I'm going to guess it will be something else. But we're definitely meant to be remembering these keys and the whole memory extraction discussion.